Monday 8 October 2012

Fifth day on the allotment

Weather at the allotment today: 12 degrees at 2.30pm, warming to 15 degrees at 4.30pm.

A couple of hours at the allotment this afternoon, fueled by a curry that was made delicious by two garlic cloves from the allotment. I didn't go up there at the weekend, as contractors were cutting down all the trees on the western side of the allotments all weekend, and I didn't fancy the constant noise of chainsaws. Don't worry, there were no trees there worth saving, and the light and air gained will benefit the beehives when they arrive.

* Picked all the litter that had collected along the south fence of the allotments.

* Took up some new green plastic garden sacks, to use as weed rotting-down sacks. Stuffed the old weeds into them, and started another bag with today's weeds.

* Dug over another row of soil, and took a large sackful of weeds and weed-roots out of it...

* Destroyed more slugs, gathered from the useful "slug-trap planks".

* Scraped the weeds off a little brick path I didn't know I had.

* Found a stainless knife in the soil, still sharp and un-rusted. Might be useful for cutting hand-to-get weeds in brick crevices.

I found a small mustard-coloured frog, which obviously likes the dampness around the mint bed. It hopped into a crevice before I could get the camera and photograph it. Nice to know that the site has frogs! Some of the allotments have ponds, and I'd guess a few of these get frogspawn.

I also encountered 'The Pigeon' again. It seems to be attracted to next door's bonfire pile for some reason. Perhaps it thinks the pile is some kind of giant nest?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks! Comments get held for approval, but I hope to post yours soon!